Saturday, August 29, 2015

Keeping Score

Keeping Score
By: Morgana Kennedy

As the semester begins I am steadily approaching one of my biggest challenges to date, keeping track of statistics during a football game. That sounds like an easy thing to do with today's technology. For most sports statistics all one has to do is click a link and there they are. But, in the pursuit of knowledge, or something like that, I have to do it by hand. Yes, this means pulling out a piece of paper and a pencil.

In class, Tuesday August 25, a sports column editor came to speak with us. He told us about writing for a daily deadline and how to keep score at a high school football game. The information was really useful. I went from feeling like I had absolutely no clue how to create a stat sheet to feeling like I could possibly accomplish this task. It requires a lot of attention, and I am much more appreciative of people who keep score for a living and post it online.

So, I will do my best to plunge fearlessly into this score keeping endeavor. More than likely, many mistakes will be made, but hopefully I'll learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment